Wednesday 2 February 2011

I've discovered something new today.

Okay, it's not exactly new to me, but to drink sorrel as tea is something I never heard of. I smelled it and thought it's rosehip, and actually it tastes very similar, but it's not out of a teabag, it's comes in dried chunks and loose from the market. With a little honey and some orange-cest... let me tell you this is a damn gorgeous drink. Hot in the winter, cold in the summer. I'm so glad I've found it.

After I came home with the big smile on my face, I went straight into the kitchen to nurture another hobby of mine: cooking. Today, it was Thai prawn red curry. Yes, I admit I stole the recipe from Jamie Oliver, but it doesn't matter where you get your inspiration from, as long as you cook from scratch, right?

What's in there?
garlic
ginger
chili
grilled red peppers
spring onions
lemongrass
kaffir lime leaves
tomato puree
coconut milk
soy sauce
fish sauce
sesame oil
raw prawns

Accompanied by Jasmin rice

Cut everything into tiny pieces, except from the lemon grass and the prawns, of course. If you have a food processor, bang it all in there.

Bring pot with hot water and rice to the boil, and get your wok ready. Fry the prawns until orange, then add the vegetables, stir for 30 seconds. Add the tomato puree, stir another 30 seconds. Then cover with coconut milk, add the soy sauce, fish sauce and sesame oil. Turn down the heat. Important: don't put in too much fish sauce, it has quite a strong taste. Put in the lime leaves. Add as much coconut milk as you like. I don't like it too sweet, just a faint aftertaste on the palate.

Bash the lemongrass and add to the dish, again, stir for 30 seconds, then let the sauce reduce until the rice is ready.

Serve and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Sorrell soup is to die for too. Very difficult to find though and is only available for such a short time. Shame. Love your recipes. Maybe you should open a restaurant for writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how to convert my hibiscus hedge to sorrel? Jonathanor :)

    ReplyDelete