Monday 28 February 2011

It's been eight wonderful years.

Eight years ago, I made a decision that changed my life, my mind, and plastered a smile on my purse. Well, sort of. I quit smoking! This is the story of how it happened.

I sat at home, watching a movie, drowning my frustration about life in alcohol and texting with a guy I was madly in love with. It went back and forth and back and forth and....
He lived about three hours away and our mobile phones were basically our connection. I lit another cigarette and inhaled deeply, closing my eyes, willing for my mobile to announce the next message. It stayed quiet. Another drink, a movie and some fags later, I looked at the almost empty packet. Only seven left.
The cigarette-machine in front of my house didn't hold my favourite brand. There was petrol station just around the corner, but I couldn't be bothered to get dressed and present myself to the public in my drunken state.

The weird thing is: I would've gone to top up my phone, texting was more important to me than smoking that evening. That's when somewhere inside me, a switch flipped. I took another long look at the packet of fags, then said aloud, 'I'll enjoy the remaining cigarettes and after that, will never touch one again.'

I kept my promise and didn't regret my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment