Tuesday 1 January 2013

13 is my lucky number

And it seems that 2013 started with my first bit of luck. For years I've tried to find a book I've read when I was younger. The feeling I had when reading it kept haunting me and I wanted to read it again. The problem was that I couldn't remember the title, or the author, and only remembered one snippet of the plot. Every time I explained it to someone I got confused looks, head shaking, questions if I was sure it was a book and not a film, etc. Google didn't give me any clues either. I found lots of books, and films, but none of them were what I was looking for.
Today, I felt inspired to look for the book again and, somehow, the title must have come to me over night. I typed it into Google.de, and there it was. The cover was instantly familiar and, after a few searches more I found the blurb. Yes! I couldn't believe my luck. The book is from 1989 and originally was published in English. Even better. Although I'd read it in German, I prefer English nowadays. It's on Amazon and at a bargain price. Guess who's ordering Ring rise, Ring set?
Although I have to say the German cover was far better: Wenn das Eis kommt.
I wonder if it still has the same spell over me than it had back then. I remember to have read many Monica Hughes books; it's slowly coming back.

I also felt quite energetic today, but maybe it was just because of my finally finding this book. Whatever it is, I'd like it to stay with me.

Regarding good news, well, even though it's yesterday's news: I detected a new review for Rage against the Indie yesterday. That'll make it my 5th 5-star review. Quite a relief that it's well perceived, because I expected people to get the wrong end of the stick.

It's not an indictment of self-publishing and the proliferation of ebooks. Nope. It IS a rant--a series of them, really--against those who want to dash out their great hope for indie immortality with no regard for convention or quality.

If you're a newbie or wannabe indie author, and Ms. Deleuze's rants shake you to the foundation of your soul, you might want to rethink your aspiration to be the next big thing in the indie author world. You don't have a tough enough hide. But, if you can learn from the author's no-holds-barred rants, continue. Stella Deleuze then offers a succinct, bordering on masterful guide to making your written works shine above the all-too-common "let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" offerings by so many newbie authors.

Recommended. 


Now back to work; the two books I've planned to publish this year aren't writing themselves. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment