Wednesday 6 November 2013

It's green, it's huge, and it's hungry

Yes, I'm talking about Zorro. It's been a while since I've posted anything about him and I think it's time for an update. This year's mating season was surprisingly short (phew), which means less chances of him losing weight or injuring himself. Instead, he's decided to eat for three and grow. Not that he was tiny before that, he just didn't shed. I'm still mystified as to how he was able to grow that big without shedding at least a few times a year.

A laid back Zorro
However, I was wondering how much he actually needed to eat. I mean, of course, I feed him twice a day, in the morning and in the evening (five or six ish), but he always acts as if I'd left him starving for days. So I tried to find out what his 'demands' are. I gave him a massive plate of spring greens, coriander and tomatoes; he ate until he was done and left the rest, which was only a few leaves. Good, I thought, no need to worry, then, as I was bang on with his portions. To be honest, I've had iguanas for decades, but never ones this big; my girl was a good eater, but even she wouldn't have gobbled up the amounts. So this test was quite good.
I've also noticed that he's more prone to being grumpy when he hasn't had his food, which means I need to be careful around him. As soon as he's got a full stomach, he's quite fine to handle. In general, he's become more calm, almost laid back, around me. I can now go near him, without having to let my hair down. Okay, he still hates red and other colours, but, normally, I can approach and even pet him without getting attacked. That's a major plus, methinks.

Yep, he's not exactly small
I suspect it's got to do with my being a lot more relaxed. Animals react to human emotions, and iguanas aren't the exception. Every time when something stresses me, he's on edge, too. Coincident? I don't think so.
So here's hoping that Zorro and I will live a happy ever after. And if that's not a reason to smile, I don't know what is.

Give us a smile

No comments:

Post a Comment