Monday 3 June 2013

Would I make it as a bike messenger?

Got my work cut out
I have my doubts. With my track record in getting lost and after last Saturday's adventure, I really don't think I'd make any money as a cycling courier. At least I thought so until last evening, but I'll come to that later. To be honest, I've always played with the thought of becoming one, already back in Germany. I love cycling; it makes me smile--on most days, and I'm feeling pretty secure on a bike, since I've cycled all my life. I'm not scared of traffic, and I don't like sitting in an office all day, being forced to wear smart-casual. It's just not me.
Okay, I admit those are mainly pro-arguments, but I know how stressed out I get when I try to find an address and fail. Even after the best preparation by writing every little turn down. Yes, I'm that kind of person. And I've started to carry my maps around when I cycle into areas I've not been yet, just to be on the safe side.
One of the reasons, or perhaps even the main reason of my toying with the idea of becoming a bike messenger is a scene I clearly remember: It was back in Germany, in that small town Bremen, where I grew up. Nobody gets lost in Bremen, except Stella, of course. After I've had enough of my friends' amusement about my none-existent sense of direction I declared, 'Maybe I should just become a cycling courier; that would tackle the issue head on!' My friends rolled on the floor in fits of laughter, and I don't blame them. Needless to say I never pursued it any further.
Now that I'm in London, however, it seemed to have sneaked into the back of my mind, the idea of cycling for a living. Although the pay is ridiculously low--unfairly so, and a definite contra argument. I have a huge iguana to care for and living in London, if you're not sharing, is rather expensive. Then again, for as long as I can remember I've adored bike messengers, and I definitely admire London's as they need to be on their guard and pay 100% attention all day long. A single mistake can be fatal, and those guys are self-employed, which means if they can't work, they won't get paid. As every self-employed person.And there is the weather, be it heat, rain, snow or hail, you have to work. No excuses. A massive contra. I've had my fair share of getting drenched, but that's nothing compared to what those tough guys are going through in the autumn/winter, particularly this last one.
So to make up my mind, or better, to support my already 80/20 decision against trying, I met with a friend whose been in that job for ten years. I expected him to burst out with laughter, to shake his head and talk me out of it. Reasons being that I'm too old, too unfit, too pretty, too ugly, too weird, too whatever--just not suitable. Nope, instead he encouraged me! Dammit!
The legendary Viscount BB
His advice was: if you don't try it, you won't know, but you need to know your post codes, particularly W1. Which was confirmed by the courier company I've spoken to today. It's pretty difficult to get a job if you have no experiences whatsoever, but it looked like the guy took me seriously enough, and sent me away with the same advice my friend gave me: learn the post codes of the city, then I can call again.
And that's what I'm probably going to do over the next two weeks. Besides: I think the best way to get to know a city is by bike. And a lovely bike at that. Went to a bike shop today to get a puncture repaired (don't have the right equipment yet) and watch and learn. One of the things I want to do is to learn the basics of bike maintenance. Okay, back to the guy in the shop, who was rather smitten by Shawn's awesome bottom bracket. Guess I'll definitely need help when that needs replacing at some point. I mean it's been doing its duty for about 40 years. I just hope it's not going to give up the ghost too soon. According to Alex from Micyle in North London, Shawn's in pretty good shape and I intend to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment