Monday 29 April 2013

One reason I prefer to keep iguanas:

because they make me laugh. Zorro is momentarily (a long momentarily, I fear) in mating season and therefore rather restless. He's particularly fixated on my slippers which have hearts on them. Every time I approach his vivarium, he's going bonkers and wants to jump on them, to sink his teeth into one evil slipper and shake it around. Madness, pure madness. However, he never fails to make me smile or even laugh with his odd behaviour or the looks he gives me.

Ssssh ...
 
What is it, what is it?!







I consider myself very lucky to have such a beautiful comedian animal. I can't believe I've had him for five years already, which means he's about eight years old and getting pretty big and heavy. It also means that my beloved little girl died five years ago. She was beautiful inside and out, very gentle and never aggressive. Everyone who met her fell in love with her, because her personality was so wonderful. She was the friendliest iguana you could meet and loved a cuddle. Yes, iguanas can get very close to a person.

I found a sunny spot!
My girl
From about three years or so, she lived to freely roam in the flat. Something I wouldn't advise on doing. It was one mistake I made, as she never really got the humidity needed. She was house-trained, but accidents still happened, particularly when she was gravid as she always had difficulties with egg-binding, hence my decision to sterilise her at some point. She became fifteen, which may be 'old', but still not old enough for an iguana. I miss her very much.

Having a relaxed sunbath
My former mistakes make me all the more determined to do anything I can to make sure Zorro will die of old age when his time comes. He's my everything; even though not cuddly at all, his character won me over from day one. I ask you: seriously, how can you not fall in love with such an incredible creature?

No comments:

Post a Comment